In light of recent restrictions put in place by the governor of the State of California, the following information relates to Eagle Projects and Boards in Palomar Zone.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact the Zone Advancement Specialists:
Cathy Rosen (email@example.com) – responsible for units meeting east of Interstate 15
Randall Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) – responsible for units meeting west of Interstate 15.
Contact Information for Eagle Board of Review Chairs is as follows:
Jeff Moore (email@example.com) – Escondido Eagle Boards
Doug Crawford (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Ramona/Julian Eagle Boards
Linda Latimer (email@example.com) – Vista/San Marcos Eagle Boards
Under the current circumstances around COVID-19, delays in executing an Eagle service project may be inevitable. Any Eagle Scout candidate who anticipates that they may have difficulty completing their Eagle service project before their 18th birthday due to delays incurred due to these circumstances should be strongly encouraged to immediately apply for a project extension.
The Eagle Scout candidate should provide their name, BSA ID, and specific description of the circumstances around the delay they are experiencing and how those delays require an extension to the appropriate Zone Advancement Specialist, who will in turn forward the request to the Council Advancement Committee. Upon acceptance, the Scout will be notified by the Zone Advancement Specialist.
STARTING YOUR EAGLE PROJECT
- All requirements that are currently in place regarding the project workbook approval process remain the same. Eagle project counselors should be available through email, text or teleconference.
- All communication with Eagle project counselors must adhere to YPT guidelines. Remember that youth are to include an adult in the thread when communicating via text or email.
- Electronic pages of the approval pages from the Eagle Project Workbook may be exchanged via email or file exchange methods (i.e., Box, Google Docs, etc.)
Note: While it makes sense to obtain approvals in the order they appear, there shall be no required sequence for the order of obtaining with the exception that council or zone approval must come after the others. The Eagle Project Counselor provides this final approval only after all other approval signatures have been obtained.
SUBMISSION OF EAGLE APPLICATIONS AND EAGLE PROJECT WORKBOOKS
- Scout will scan the application and entire book (including all attachments including photos, drawings, certificates, receipts, etc.) and forward a COMPLETE pdf to both the Advancement Chair and the appropriate Eagle Board chair. A complete book has a statement of ambitions and life purpose. The Scout must confirm receipt of these documents with the appropriate parties! The Scout will be notified via email or telephone if there are any issues with the information submitted. The Scout is responsible for addressing these deficiencies or questions with the notifying party.
- The District Advancement Chair will forward the completed Eagle Scout Rank Application to the Council Eagle Specialist to be registered and reviewed.
- Reference letters – As before, the Scout is not to collect the letters of recommendation. Whoever collects the letter will open (refrain from reading!) and send scanned letters to both the Advancement Chair and appropriate Eagle Board chair. Once the sender verifies the letters have been received by the appropriate parties, the letters must be destroyed. Scouts are not responsible for follow-through or any other aspect of the process of obtaining the letters of recommendation.
EAGLE BOARDS OF REVIEW
- After all approvals have been received from Council, the Eagle Board Chair will schedule an Eagle Board for the candidate.
- Under current circumstances regarding the COVID-19 guidelines, all Eagle Boards of Review will be conducted remotely via Skype, Zoom, or similar teleconferencing method. The Scout will receive information prior to the Board of Review so they will know what to expect.
- Videoconference boards of review must not be recorded.